Today’s most interesting SDCC press release was from DC Comics and Cryptozoic who announced a new trading card game, set to launch this summer with a preview at SDCC, at the Cryptozoic Comic-Con Store, 411 Market Street. There are a total of 214 game cards with the base set consisting of 61 cards, with this being the first set of DC trading cards in 3 years and the first set ever to feature the ‘new 52’ universe. After the jump read a description of game play and see some sample card art and for more information on Cryptozoic and the company’s upcoming products, and join Cryptozoic on Facebook and Twitter.
DC Comics Deck-building Game
214 Game Cards; 7 Oversized Super Hero Cards
Each player starts with his own basic 10-card deck and draws a hand of 5 cards each turn. Power is the currency you will use to buy new, stronger cards to add to your deck. The goal of a deck-building game is to craft your personal deck into a well-oiled machine. There are five different types of cards that can be acquired: Villains, Heroes, Equipment, Super Powers, and Locations.
A large, central stack of cards supplies a five-card “Line-Up” from which players make their purchases. Each player will always have five face-up cards to choose from each turn, so every turn there are new options and surprises.
When a player has amassed enough Power, he or she may defeat the current Super-Villain. When a Super-Villain is defeated, a new one appears and makes an Attack against each player in the game! Players can defend themselves with Defense cards like The Batsuit, Super Speed, Bulletproof, or several others.
In the end, the player who has accumulated the most Victory Points from the cards in his or her deck wins the game.
• Play as BatmanTM, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash, Green Lantern, or Cyborg. The Justice League of America is ready for action!
• Each Super Hero has a unique special ability that will open up different strategies to the player. Follow that strategy or break away with a plan of your own.
• Card combos, strategy, and fun abound in this game where every card is a well-known, fan-favorite card with amazing art.
• Easy to learn, entertaining and engaging gameplay. ￼
At a Glance:
• Number of Players: 2-5
• Ages: 15+
• Time to Play One Game: 30-45