With all the renewed interest in Voltron (TV series, MattyCollector club), I’d be remiss if I didn’t take a post to focus on some of the Voltron events at this year’s show. Voltron will have its first panel presentation this year which will feature both classic and new Voltron content. This includes original graphic novels, the Voltron video game, Nicktoons’ Voltron Force television series, toys and merchandise, as well as exclusive sneak previews, as well as never-before-seen material. The panel, which is schedule for Friday from 6PM-7PM is moderated by Carrie Keagan, current host of VH1’s Big Morning Buzz Live and features:
- From THQ, Adam Affrunti, producer;
- From World Events Productions, Jeremy Corray, Voltron Force supervising producer, and Todd Garfield, Voltron Force story editor;
- From Nicktoons, Keith Dawkins, senior vice president and general manager of Nicktoons;
- From Mattel, Steed Sun, entertainment brands design director, Michael Montalvo, entertainment brands design manager, and Brandon Sopinsky, entertainment brands designer;
- From Dynamite Entertainment, Joe Rybandt, editor, and Brandon Thomas, Voltron comic book writer;
- From VIZ Media, Traci Todd, senior editor, and Jacob Chabot, cartoonist and illustrator for VIZ Media graphic novels
In addition to this panel, additional toy reveals are expected at Friday’s MattyPalooza panel event, with the Voltron Force subscription package from MattyCollector.com going on sale Friday at 2PM. You can also pick up the first Voltron toy from the new line from the MattyCollector booth who will have the ‘blazing sword’ Voltron figure for sale ($30).
Not only are there panel discussions and new toys to stare at, there’s a Voltron scavenger hunt planned for the area around the convention. The interactive adventure, “The Hunt to Form Voltron.” will take place July 21 to July 23 in the area surrounding the convention center. Participants will play using their smartphones on a mission to find the five Voltron lion standees and their corresponding QR codes. At each standee, players will receive an exclusive button and a chance to win a variety of collectible prizes from THQ, Mattel, WEP, Viz Media and Classic Media including: a 92-inch flat screen Mitsubishi television, an Xbox 360 console, classic Voltron action figures, Voltron retro t-shirts, DVDs and more.
If Voltron is your cup of tea, be sure to check it out!