One was a Soviet cosmonaut, selected from among more than 400 applicants to soar into space on the Vostok 6 mission on June 16, 1963. Twenty years and two days later – on June 18, 1983 – an American astronaut rose to similar heights of fame aboard the space shuttle Challenger. They were, respectively, Valentina Tereshkova and Sally Ride. The course they charted for women — in their own countries and
around the world — continues to resonate throughout the cosmos.
Eaglemoss Collections, creators of Star Trek themed collectibles produced under license from CBS Studios, is proud to salute these true pioneers on the 55th and 35th anniversaries of their respective historic launches into space with special 15% savings on stunningly detailed, die-cast models available online at the Eaglemoss Shop.
Of course Star Trek has their own noted ships with female Starfleet captains and commanders, here are 5 of the most significant.
- U.S.S. Voyager NCC-74656 (Star Trek: Voyager) – Captain Kathryn Janeway
- U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-C (Star Trek: The Next Generation) – Captain Rachel Garrett
- U.S.S. Defiant NX-74205 (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) – Lt. Commander Jadzia Dax
- U.S.S. Pasteur NCC-58925 (Star Trek: The Next Generation) – Captain Beverly Picard (alternate future)
- U.S.S. Shenzhou NCC-1227 (Star Trek: Discovery) – Captain Philippa Georgiou
From now through June 18, visitors to the Eaglemoss Shop can enjoy 15% off the
regular price of their entire purchase by entering the promo code JANEWAY when
prompted at checkout. Certain restrictions apply.
Fans can also subscribe to any of the many Star Trek themed collections offered by
Eaglemoss, including the Official Star Trek Starships Collection, soon to approach
160 officially authorized ships. Subscribers enjoy even more savings, receive
exclusive free gifts and gain access to special editions. To learn more, visit
Eaglemoss’ Star Trek Collections mini-site.
Pioneers of space, Valentina Tereshkova and Sally Ride paved the way for so many
women who followed and – asStar Trek fans know better than most – are destined
to do likewise.