With season 3 of DreamWorks’ Voltron Legendary Defender premiering on Netflix on August 4th, Playmates Toys is introducing all new toys to stores everywhere. Among the new releases is the Voltron Metal Defender Collection. Playmates sent over full details and pics on these new Lions.
Voltron Metal Defender Collection
- Voltron fans can add to their collection with this assortment of Voltron figures from Playmates Toys in premium diecast.
- Assortment includes highly detailed and fully articulated figures of the Blue, Red, Black, Green, and Yellow Lions.
- Collect all five diecast lions to combine to form an 8-inch articulated Voltron figure.
- The Black Lion transforms into the head and torso, the Red Lion transforms into the right arm, the Green Lion transforms into the left arm, the Blue Lion transforms into the right leg and the Yellow Lion transforms into the left leg of the 8-inch Voltron figure.
- The detailed figures were first available from Toys“R”Us at San Diego Comic Con in July and are available at mass retailers nationwide beginning in August.
- $14.99 for each lion
Playmates is providing two sets of SDCC exclusives and they’ve sent over full details and pictures. Available from Toys R Us (at the Entertainment Earth booth) will be die cast versions of the Voltron lions and a deluxe Usagi Yojimbo at the Nickelodeon booth. Keep reading for full details and pics of these (sure to be hot!) SDCC exclusives.
DreamWorks Voltron Metal Defender Collection from Playmates Toys
Voltron fans can add to their collection with this assortment of Voltron figures from Playmates Toys in premium diecast. Assortment includes fully articulated figures of the Blue, Red, Black, Green, and Yellow Lions. Collect all five diecast lions to combine to form an 8-inch articulated Voltron figure. The detailed figures are first available from Toys“R”Us at San Diego Comic Con in the Entertainment Earth booth (#2343) from Wednesday, July 19 – Sunday, July 23, and online at Toysrus.com/ComicConvention from Thursday, July 20 – Sunday, July 23. The figures will also be available at Toys“R”Us stores and other retailers nationwide later this year.
Samurai Rabbit Usagi Yojimbo Figure from Playmates Toys
In Nickelodeon’s 2017 Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the samurai rabbit Usagi Yojimbo will reunite with the Ninja Turtles once again for a three part story arc that airs beginning July 23, 2017. A limited edition of the 2017 Usagi Yojimbo new character design action figure, with limited samples available and sold exclusively at San Diego Comic Con, will be offered for $30 each from Thursday to Sunday (July 20-23) at Nickelodeon’s booth, #4113.
This exclusive item features the newly designed Usagi Yojimbo action figure in a 5” scale, dressed in his classic blue robe, and comes with his traditional Samurai swords. Also included are two additional exclusive, interchangeable Usagi heads, his pet Tokage lizard, and a flag with Usagi’s signature emblem. All this is presented in a collector edition 5th panel storybook package, with a re-run of the 1987 Comic Book “Leonardo Meets Usagi Yojimbo in Turtle Soup and Rabbit Stew”, and the 1989 Comic Book “The Treaty”.
Playmates opened their booth up this evening and showed off their new offerings for 2017. While the Turtles have been a Playmates Toy Fair staple for the past few years this year they were joined by Ben10 and Voltron both having impressive showings.
Check out the new toys from all three of these properties in the gallery below.
Each day AwesomeToyBlog sponsor Entertainment Earth offers a deal on a new and fun product. For November 22nd you’ve got your chance to save some money on Voltron! Check out today’s deal below.
It’s a big year for giant robots as Voltron is celebrating the 30th anniversary of it’s 1984 television series. To celebrate this milestone a year-long celebration is underway and includes an all new 30th Anniversary commemorative logo, cool new products and collaborations and fan events at both SDCC and NYCC. Paired with a substantial social media presence, there’s a ton of ways for fans to interact with their favorite lion combining franchise. The below brands are among those included in the anniversary evenings with more to be announced on www.30th.voltron.com.
- ACIDFREE GALLERY: This online art gallery will offer a limited-edition giclee print by artist Vincent Aseo.
- BAIT: Voltron Lions coach jackets, t-shirts and socks are available from this lifestyle brand whose mission is all about going after what you desire in life, fashion, and love with no regrets or apologies.
- FINESSE: Three exclusive Voltron skateboard decks are available from the skate and art lifestyle brand that encourages youth to follow their dreams.
- HAN CHOLO: An exclusive stainless steel ring is available for Voltron fans from the brand that makes badass jewelry for badass people.
- ILLEST: Voltron fans will find T-shirts, skate decks, key chains, stickers and more from the clothing line that is more than a simple expression. Born in the hip-hop culture, Illest continues to bring cool street wear to the next level.
- MIGHTY FINE: This progressive pop culture T-shirt design company hosted its first ever Voltron design contest focused on creating all new wearable fan art. The winning designs were voted on by fans and will be announced today.
- TOYNAMI: Introducing limited-edition toys for the 30th Anniversary, Toynami is the only place fans can find the Jumbo Lion Voltron, which stands more than 25 inches in height and has shooting fists and rolling wheels. Also available is the five-inch Lion Force Voltron, represented in the popular Super-Deformed style. A third limited-edition toy will be available during the fall/holiday season.
- VIZ MEDIA: Giving fans a rare look at the history of the show and the pop culture phenomenon that Voltronhas become, VIZ Media offers the new coffee-table book “Voltron: From Days of Long Ago.” The international media company will also host a Voltron panel at this year’s New York Comic Con where limited editions of the book will be available for sale in booth #1944.
I’m three lions into my MattyCollector subscription, so I couldn’t not post the announcement of the Voltron panel for SDCC 2012. Celebrating both the past, present and future of the property this panel brings together the following announced guests (there may be some surprises!):
- World Events Productions,Jeremy Corray, Creative Director
- Dynamite Entertainment, Brandon Thomas, Writer
- VIZ Media, Traci Todd, Senior Editor
- Mattel, Scott Neitlich, Marketing Manager, MattyCollector.com
- Rob Bricken – Editor, ToplessRobot.com
- Alex Albrecht – Writer, Director Voltron: The End, co-host Diggnation, G-4 Attack of the Show
- Team Unicorn – Clare Grant, Rileah Vanderbilt, Milynn Sarley, Michele Boyd
This panel will be held Thursday, July 12th starting at 1PM in the Indigo Ballroom of the Bayfront Hilton. If this isn’t enough incentive, they are going to raffle off Voltron prizes, so check it out!
MattyCollector.com held their annual collector’s event this evening, and Matty did all the work for me. See below for the list of new announcements; and then a gallery of the items on display. I will add that Voltron looked fantastic as did the Snake Men and Frosta. Looking forward to their SDCC reveals in April. One SDCC tidbit – 3 DC items, one of the will be Dark Knight Rises.
Check after the jump for the full list of Matty releases.
With a new month under way, the details of Matty’s Monthly sale are now posted. February’s sale takes place Wednesday February 15th at 9AM Pacific (Noon Eastern). The month’s offerings are:
Our good friend Matty posted quite a news post yesterday – you can see all the details over on the MattyCollector site; but here’s a quick rundown of the key points.
- Club Infinite Earths, Club Eternia and Club Lion Force are all re-opening to subscriptions starting Friday, September 16th. This final opportunity runs through October 3rd.
- A special subscription is being offered for the MOTU 30th anniversary celebration; these six special figures will be released approximately every other month in 2012. The first of these is Fearless Photog, the second is Draego, three others remain unannounced and the final will be the winner of the “design a figure” competition. In the subscription figures will be priced at $20 each.
- Across the board – the day of sale figures will cost more than the figures cost in the subscription. For Club Infinite Earths; a $20 subscription figure will cost $23 day off..and a $30 oversized figure will cost $45 on the day of sale. Details of the “day of” prices for the other clubs haven’t been shared yet.
- Attempts are being made to combine shipping of subscription products and things bought “day of”.
That’s the general round up; I do wish they had announced a single figures only Masters of the Universe subscription, I would have picked that up in a heartbeat!
Next up on the panels is the MattyCollector fan event. Keep reading below for all the latest on Mattel’s collector driven lines.
Justice League Unlimited
7-pack due in November
Legion of Superheroes
12 figure set; available in October
Club Infinite Earths
9 monthly figures, 3 quarterly oversized figures and 1 exclusive figure
Subs go on sale today
The exclusive figure will be a fan’s choice
I’ll be honest, when a Voltron subscription was announced, I was skeptical. When some details of the club were ‘leaked’ yesterday (5 combinable lions, 5 pilot figures), I was curious. After seeing the first tonight in Matty’s display case, I’m sold. These toys look really solid and the combined Voltron form – looks fantastic. I may not be too crazy about the subscription concept (that’s alot of shipping costs!), they definately are offering a nice looking product. Check out the gallery below.
With all the renewed interest in Voltron (TV series, MattyCollector club), I’d be remiss if I didn’t take a post to focus on some of the Voltron events at this year’s show. Voltron will have its first panel presentation this year which will feature both classic and new Voltron content. This includes original graphic novels, the Voltron video game, Nicktoons’ Voltron Force television series, toys and merchandise, as well as exclusive sneak previews, as well as never-before-seen material. The panel, which is schedule for Friday from 6PM-7PM is moderated by Carrie Keagan, current host of VH1’s Big Morning Buzz Live and features:
- From THQ, Adam Affrunti, producer;
- From World Events Productions, Jeremy Corray, Voltron Force supervising producer, and Todd Garfield, Voltron Force story editor;
- From Nicktoons, Keith Dawkins, senior vice president and general manager of Nicktoons;
- From Mattel, Steed Sun, entertainment brands design director, Michael Montalvo, entertainment brands design manager, and Brandon Sopinsky, entertainment brands designer;
- From Dynamite Entertainment, Joe Rybandt, editor, and Brandon Thomas, Voltron comic book writer;
- From VIZ Media, Traci Todd, senior editor, and Jacob Chabot, cartoonist and illustrator for VIZ Media graphic novels
In addition to this panel, additional toy reveals are expected at Friday’s MattyPalooza panel event, with the Voltron Force subscription package from MattyCollector.com going on sale Friday at 2PM. You can also pick up the first Voltron toy from the new line from the MattyCollector booth who will have the ‘blazing sword’ Voltron figure for sale ($30).
Not only are there panel discussions and new toys to stare at, there’s a Voltron scavenger hunt planned for the area around the convention. The interactive adventure, “The Hunt to Form Voltron.” will take place July 21 to July 23 in the area surrounding the convention center. Participants will play using their smartphones on a mission to find the five Voltron lion standees and their corresponding QR codes. At each standee, players will receive an exclusive button and a chance to win a variety of collectible prizes from THQ, Mattel, WEP, Viz Media and Classic Media including: a 92-inch flat screen Mitsubishi television, an Xbox 360 console, classic Voltron action figures, Voltron retro t-shirts, DVDs and more.
If Voltron is your cup of tea, be sure to check it out!
On their facebook page today, MattyCollector.com announced that a 3rd collector club would be joining the ranks of Club Eternia and Club Ecto-1. The new kid on the block will be Club Lion Force, with its focus on Mattel’s new Voltron line. While the full suite of details will not be discussed until SDCC, Matty let slip a few details. The new club will have a club exclusive figure; and sign-ups will take place starting at Comic-con.
Another benefit to subscribers of multiple clubs (or multiples of the same club) is that Matty will be enabling deliveries to be combined, which will reduce shipping charges. Sales for subscriptions kick off Friday, July 22nd at 2 p.m. PT (5 p.m. ET) and end on Friday, August 5th at 2 p.m. PT (5 p.m. ET).
Last week brought us news of the return of the Thundercats. This week features the return of “Voltron: Defender of the Universe”. This article on Variety.com gives the details about Voltron’s return as an animated series on Nicktoons and a new toy line from Mattel rather than leap straight onto the bigscreen.
Next year, Nicktoons will air 26 half-hour episodes of “Voltron Force,” about five space explorers who pilot robotic lions that combine to form Voltron, an invincible guardian sworn to defend the Universe. The series will remain faithful to the original, but will also introduce new characters.
As with Thundercats, Mattel has the toy rights and will launch toys based on the classic “Voltron” range, as well as action figures and playsets that revolve around an edgier, modernized robot. There’s no shelf date at this point.